Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Forest camp to camp 200km west of U.B

As seems to be the way, I did not sleep well from strange animal noises and Alan was comatose. The insects are out to play tagteam again for breakfast (i have never been bitten by such a biodiverse population of insects and we both look like we have leprosy or something) and we feast on an array of black tea and bland buscuits. We reach Bulgan city by 11am and for some reason this city doesnt feel dreary like a lot of other Mongolian towns. We like it. We stop to use the internet, buy a phonecard and find somewhere to lunch. There are a lot of very pretty Mongolian girls in this town. We head south then south east along an earth road along some more broad valleys. The wind is hot. Sometimes there are big ditches running at right angles across the track in one particular section which can be terrifying because you done see them till the last minute. I rode straight over one which i think i must have been going fast enough to skim across the top because i only managed to plow my back wheel into it and bottom out but stay on the bike. Alan shares the same joy behind. We climb a pass then descend into another valley and there are a couple of trucks ahead of us. Trucks are bad and play with my mind. They kick up stupendous amounts of dust and are diffucult and dangerous to pass so we try to avoid them. I was behind one today and i found myself imagining the driver laughing hysterically and screaming "..try pass you fool!!" like a madman and steering his truck here and there to make all the more dust and make this situation more dangerous. This is of course not correct and is probably part of my own madness from having my brain shaken by corrugations and rocks all day and i think Alan will understand my madness. I still find myself angry when i am behind a truck getting drenched in dust and feel like i have 'given it to the man' if i do eventually get past him. We get beaten by the trucks however (i'll bide my time) and make camp up a small valley out of sight in the arid landscape. The sunset is brilliant from the top of a nearby hill. We smell very bad.

No comments: